ГДЗ Англійська мова 9 клас. Підручник [Несвіт А.] 2017
Lesson 7. Stonehenge – Forever a Mystery2. You are going to read an article about one of the most famous landmarks of Great Britain. Some sentences or phrases have been removed from it. First read the text quickly, ignoring the gaps. Explain the main idea of it. Then fill in the gaps (1–6) with the sentences or phrases (A–F) to complete the text.
Stonehenge – Forever a Mystery
The great and ancient stone circle of Stonehenge is one of the wonders of the world. It’s thought that (1) D that the mystical stone circle was built by the Druids to mark her tomb – the old English word ‘henge’ meaning ‘the hanging stones’. There is nothing quite like Stonehenge anywhere in the world and for 5,000 years it has drawn visitors to it. We shall never know (2) C what drew people here over the centuries or why hundreds of people struggled over thousands of years to build this monument (the heaviest of the stones weighs probably about 45 tons), but visitors from all over the world (over 850,000 people a year) come to marvel at this amazing feat of engineering.
Myths and Legends
Although great strides have been made in our understanding of the original purpose of Stonehenge (3), E we will probably never know its full significance. The aura of mystery has helped to generate many myths and legends about the monument. As a speculation has gone on over the centuries, a whole host of colourful stories has arisen – and the search for explanations is still
going strong today.
In the Roman period, it was believed that the British rebel Queen Boudicca had been buried at Stonehenge, and(4) A the name Stonehenge originates from the Anglo-Saxon period.
Geoffrey of Monmouth, writing in the 12th century A.D., retells the story that the legendary wizard Merlin commanded an Irish monument called the Giant’s Dance to be transported all the way to Salisbury Plain.
(5) B in 1986 for their outstanding prehistoric monuments is that it was built by extra-terrestrial visitors in ancient times.
Why Stonehenge is a World Heritage Site
Stonehenge and Avebury were inscribed on the World Heritage List (6) F One of the most popular modern alternative explanations for Stonehenge. At Stonehenge, the unparalleled stone circle (3000 B.C.–1600 B.C.) is surrounded by a ceremonial landscape comprising more than 300 burial mounds and major prehistoric monuments such as the Stonehenge Avenue, the Cursus, Woodhenge and Durrington Walls.
4. Match the words (1–9) with their definitions (a–i).
1. To marvel — h) used to emphasize that something is bigger, better or worse than anything else like it;
2. A stride — g) one long step;
3. A speculation — i) the act of forming opinions about what has happened or what might happen without knowing all the facts.
4. A host — a)
1) a large number of people or things;
2) a person who invites guests to a meal (party);
5. A tomb — b) a large grave, built of stone above or below the ground;
6. Unparalleled — c) being the parts that form something;
7. Comprising — d) to be very surprised or impressed by something;
8. Mounds — f) a large pile of earth or stones; a small hill;
9. Extra-terrestrial — e) connected with life existing outside the Earth;
5. Find the synonyms to the words in the text of Ex. 2.
1) To wonder — to marvel;
2) To struggle — to work;
3) A stride — a step;
4) Amazing — wonderful;
5) An alien — extra-terrestrial visitors.
7. You were staying in England for some weeks at your friend’s house. Now you have just returned home and have decided to write a thank you’ letter to the family.`
Write a letter of 50–100 words including the following:
• say ‘thank you’ again;
• praise English food;
• praise their hospitality.
Dear James, I’m writing to thank you for my rest in your country, it was absolutely marvelous.
First, I was very happy to stay for two weeks at your house because it was nice to spend time together and communicate a lot. I appreciate your hospitality very much. I want to add that I really enjoyed a sightseeing tour you have recommended me to go. It was fantastic. Then I should say that English food was delicious and I liked it.
In conclusion, I would like to say that my parents and I would like to invite you to our place.
Thanks for a wonderful holiday.
Якщо помітили в тексті помилку, виділіть її та натисніть Ctrl + Enter